Thanks for visiting my website, it's a privilege to be able to share some of my work. I am an artist and printmaker originally from Shropshire, now based near the lovely city of York, UK.
I have only taken up art seriously in the last few years - for most of my life I have worked in more mathematical occupations in finance and insurance. This definitely influences my approach to art - I am quite analytical and often look to collect and use data in my research.
Looking for a change and with a passion for art, I completed an Access Art & Design course in York and a Masters Degree in Creative Practice at Leeds Arts University, both wonderful experiences.
My interests and inspiration comes from the spaces we find all around us – their visual characteristics, our experience of them, and in what they tell us about the societies in which we live. As Perec said in 'Species of Spaces and Other Pieces', “There are spaces today of every kind and every size, for every use and every function. To live is to pass from one space to another, while doing your best not to bump yourself”.
I work mainly in printmaking and at times in 3D using ready-made objects and architectural materials. Although my research can be quite analytical, the creative work that emerges becomes more intuitive, typically expressed in strong patterns and colours.
My recent projects all consider aspects of space, including
- A study of the historical space of York Museum Gardens, with work inspired by the history, architecture and visual language of the buildings in the Gardens, resulting in the 'Printstories' work.
- An exploration of a specific urban space (the Leeds Millennium Square event space) through multiple walks during public events, responding to the disruption in access to the space and the degree of control and restriction affecting our experience of the space. This project resulted in several series of work - 'The Fluidity of Public Space', 'Fragments of Space', and 'Collecting Fragments of Space'.
- My current ongoing work, related to climate and responding to everyday spaces such as car showrooms and road systems which are interesting both visually and as signifiers of our use of fossil fuels and contribution to climate change. It is really about the linkages between local, familiar spaces and truly global issues, an attempt to see these spaces in their wider context. The 'Language of Addiction' work is a first set of outcomes from this project.
- Access Art & Design, York College, UK (2015-2016)
- MA (Creative Practice), Leeds Arts University (2016-18)
- 2016 - Access Show (York College)
- 2017 - Stranieri (Leeds Arts Uni)
- 2017 - Is this OK? (Wharf Chambers)
- 2018 - Left Bank Leeds
- 2018 - KPP Architecture Exhibition (Sunny Bank Mills) (Runnner-up prize)
- 2018 - Degrees North (RK Burt Gallery, London)
- 2018 - MA Show (Leeds)
- 2020 - Pop-up Exhibition, Gillygate, York
- 2020 - York Printmakers Virtual Print Fair
- 2020 - The Potential of Pattern (Sunny Bank Mills)
- 2020 - You are Here (Online)
- 2021 - 'Created in York' - Pop up exhibition, Coney Street, York
- 2021 - SCAF Emerging Artist, Boroughbridge (Finalist)
- Member of York Printmakers
Studio in York